Sunday, April 19, 2009

C3PO

Hi Sparky!

Long time no see. Well, it looks like I haven't posted anything since May 2008! That's damn near a year ago - and entirely too long, I might add. I'm just glad that my blog is still here and my login still works. I had to look up my password though.

Since I last posted, I switched jobs. I had been doing an interim management job for 14 months and decided to return to my academic advising position. It was filled with a temporary person while I was gone. Things were hairy last summer and fall and in late November 2008 I made the switch. It was a bit strange for awhile, but all is going well now! I like working with students again and I'm happy to not be in charge of very much.

In January I decided to take a painting class at the college. We had a choice of using oils or acrylic and I chose acrylic because it's less messy and dries faster. The faster drying is both a good thing and a bad thing I've discovered.

Our first project was to find a picture with high color contrast. We cut out a small piece from the original photo, about 1" x 2". Then we blew the small pics up in the copier and graphed the image to a larger canvas.

I picked an image of C3PO, from Star Wars...just his head. This is it, my first ever acrylic painting. It's 18" x 24" in size. I'm not sure what I'll ever do with this, but it was kind of fun (and odd) to paint.

I'm happy with this image and I learned alot in the process. I'll post the rest of my winter class paintings.

EmmaPod

1 comment:

provolone said...

Granted, this may be an old post...but for what it's worth: you mention that you're not sure what you're going to do with this painting. If you don't intend on displaying it and showing it off may I suggest you auction it off? Many a star wars fan would enjoy owning this painting. And, while I'm at it, it's a fabulous rendition - I'm all for a stunning image of C3PO without hearing his nagging mouth running.