Monday, June 25, 2007

EDM Challenge #124: Draw Something Yellow

When I was a kid, my Dad built a cabin beside Lake Poinsett in South Dakota. He taught engineering at the college and had summers off, so we spent our time swimming, sunning, reading, and playing in the sand. In the kitchen was a collection of various cups, glasses and plates - we each had our favorite items that we liked to use.

Last summer my sister came to visit me in Oregon and brought a favorite speckled yellow cup from the lake! I now use it to keep my brushes in. So, it is my yellow project this week.

I haven't been drawing much lately and have missed three challenges (coin, shade, bell). Work has been really busy since I started a new summer job in May. We also took a trip to Maui and are going to Sun River next week. I haven't taken the time to sketch, but I have been taking pictures.

Here's a shot of a robin's nest in the tree right outside our front door. There are FOUR babies in a fairly small nest and most of the time we just see their beaks. They're starting to get bigger and have speckled feathers. The Mom is busy carrying worms all day.

Emma Pod

7 comments:

caseytoussaint said...

Hi Mary - glad to see you're sketching again! This came out really well - it's amazing how much memory can be packed into a simple object like a cup.

juj said...

Great sketch and great story. Love the speckles on that mug.

Teri said...

What a neat memory-filled cup. Great answer to the challenge. Good to see you painting again. don't you hate it when life interferes :)

The Old Bag said...

I knew that cup even before I read the entry! Its twin here in MN still gets plenty of use, and always reminds me of summers at the cabin.

Alison said...

A lovely little sketch and accompanying text - I like the way it combines your past life with your current one.

Serena Lewis said...

Nice mug....I like the speckles too!

Anonymous said...

The babies are so cute! Enjoy them because like kids they grow up fast. lol! I like your drawing for 'yellow'. We had a summer place when I was a kid and there are keepsakes I have that keep the memories alive. Nice work!